Call for applications to the SOLAS Scientific Steering Committee - closing date: March 31st
SOLAS welcomes nominations to its International Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) for a term beginning on January 1st 2020.
We are planning to appoint one new member this year. We are particularly seeking someone with expertise in scientific evaluation of proposed geoengineering techniques, but we also welcome nominations in any SOLAS-relevant discipline in the areas of the SOLAS 2015-2025 Science Plan and Organisation.
The overall scientific guidance on all aspects of SOLAS activities is provided by the SSC. The SSC functions as the central decision-making body for SOLAS and sets the scientific direction and priorities of the project.
SSC tasks include:
– Overall responsibility for the SOLAS project
– Developing and promoting the SOLAS scientific agenda
– Communicating with the SOLAS International Project Office
– Acting as a liaison to SOLAS workshop organisers and working groups when appropriate
– Representing SOLAS at meetings and conferences
- As opportunities arise, SSC members may also host SOLAS workshops and coordinate national SOLAS activities.
The SSC is supported by the SOLAS International Project Office in its tasks and is composed of mid-career and senior scientists from a broad spectrum of disciplines and nationalities. View the current SSC membership status, including nationalities and SOLAS expertise already represented, here.
Members are appointed for a 3-year term, renewable, once and meet in person at least once per year to address SOLAS issues.
The deadline for applications is 31st March 2019, 12:00 noon, Berlin time. Applicants will be informed of the outcome in summer 2019.
Please find below the minimum qualifications required and instructions on how to apply (in case of self-nomination) or to nominate.
Minimum qualifications and experience required to apply:
- Extensive international and/or national experience in air-sea interaction research;
- Established reputation in the international research arena;
- Currently active in the SOLAS-relevant field of research;
- Have time to commit to fulfill SSC member responsibilities.
How to apply
A. Both self-nominations and nominations by a third party are accepted. If you are nominating someone else, please ensure you have obtained his or her agreement prior to submission of the nomination.
B. Nominations should include the following information:
- First name, family name of the candidate:
- Current country of residence:
- Date of birth:
- Contact information:
- Year of PhD:
SUPPORT FOR NOMINATION
- Area of expertise (max. 20 words):
- Brief case for the nomination, along with a vision statement indicating areas of specific interest and engagement in SOLAS (max. 500 words):
- Submitted by (self, or name of nominee if not self):
C. In addition, nominations should include a short CV (max. 3 pages).
Applications/Nominations should be submitted by email as a single document with letter and supporting documents attached (Microsoft Word or pdf) to Jessica Gier, SOLAS International Project Office.
- last update March 2019 -